Friday 22 June 2012

Let's Kick Off the Weekend!

Hi there,

Just picked up the boggins from school. We don't know what to wear anymore. Sandals? Wellies? Coats? Single tops? Pfffffff.....
I put a cashmere cardigan on this afternoon - it was the longest day yesterday....come oooooooon!

Anyway, it doesn't make us any less cheerful about the start of the weekend - especially not when there's a laced cherry pie (see photo) waiting for us! Bought. At good supermarket Delhaize. Only €7. So worth it! So NOT worth the effort of making it yourself ;-)! Most of all when you've been baking bread all day like I have. Still not finished. Sourdough to go in any time now.

These laced pies are very typical of this part of Belgium and the South of Holland where they call them 'vlaai'. You can get them with all sorts of fillings - rice too which is my favourite - but the boggins LOVE the cherry one and scoff it down in seconds. Daddy, we have left a little piece for you :-P!

So......this eve is going to be mega easy. Kids having vol-au-vents. Matthew calls them 'castles'. Sweeeet!

And I will be having (later when kids in bed, most likely in front of telly as husband back late and generally just because I can :-)!) my good old favourite 'singleton' topper: saté with crusty bread and a salad.
I used to make this quite often when I was a management consultant living in London. Coming back on a Friday eve, absolutely shattered from working my socks off and 'probably' also having had 'a few' glasses of vino with the team in a local bar/pub... The usual Friday eve ritual..

I just love it..saté sauce.. I could eat it by the bucket load. Shouldn't: waisteline!
Dad and I once made it ourselves, I was probably only 7 or 8 at the time. We ended up making LI-TERS because we kept adding one particular ingredient (think it was 'ketjap': soy sauce) as the flavour wasn't right according to us. Hilarious! We should do that again dad! Hahaha!

Yes, so I will fry some chunks or strips of chicken breast in some veg oil and season. Heat the (bought) saté sauce seperately. Put salad and crusty bread on plate. Chicken on the side. Saté sauce over it (AND next to it for dipping with bread piggie style!).
Bob's your uncle.

I still bring back saté sauce from Holland (widely available there as result of old colonial influence from Indonesia - bit like Indian food in the UK). You can get some good (powder based) ones in 'toko's' (Indonesion supermarkets) but other general supermarkets (like Albert Heijn) sell some reasonably good ones too. Conimex is a good brand - also available in Waitrose I think.

There you go! Friday sorted!
Going to put my sourdough friends in the oven now. Going to sit in front of it and wait for the oven spring!

Have a good start of the weekend. Will keep you posted on the rest of the weekend menu. Especially tomorrow's wedding anniversary cooking session.

Love,
X Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment