Friday 8 June 2012

Weekend prep

Morning everyone!


Got to share this with you. This realisation I had again this morning. I guess it is when I put my blue and white striped apron on that I get truly close to myself - to who I am, to what I really enjoy doing and to where I get my energy from. Bit philosophical...but true! It is with the apron as if I wrap myself into 'my space', where I can be creative and use all the inspiration I have soaked up over the years or just recently. Hopefully I can inspire others by doing so! Let's make that a bit of a mission statement then... 
Sounds like the old management consulting days are still hard to shed... ;-).


This morning I asked the kids what the weekend cake was going to be and Matthew shouted: lemon drizzle!!! So Nigella's lemon drizzle cake it is. It's in the oven now so I took this moment to write on the blog and have my second & last espresso of the day. Illy of course ;-).


Sourdough starter prepared for the last time before 'Baking Saturday' tomorrow. Think there'll be four loaves. Two sourdough (mixed white (75% and rye (25%) flour) and two yeast loaves - probably spelt, perhaps I mix some sunflower seeds in. We'll see how the sourdough goes... Last time it seemed a bit 'knackered'. I might have to start a new one although that would be a shame as this one has been going since late October last year.


Other than that, we will be having home made pizzas tomorrow eve (I am now using Gennaro Contaldo's dough recipe from the 'Two Greedy Italians' book) so that we can watch the Holland footie game....if anyone is actually going to play the championship that is.. Can't believe the discrimination going on over there! Shocking!


For Sunday, we have decided to go for 'a table of curries'. Going to have a look at my 'Chiman's collection' in a mo. You've got to check out Chiman's : www.chimans.co.uk . I swear by their dry spice blends. You can't knock it. Generations have put their experience into the right blends and I don't think that I could ever achieve the same by experimenting with my own blends. What's more, they sell organic ones too - and all their blends are free of flavourings, preservatives and colourings. They're gluten free too in case you prefer/need that. I used to order them in the UK online and they always arrived within a day or two. Have now ordered them online here from Belgium and no problems getting them through the post either. Our favourites are: Kofta Bhoona, Chicken Korma, Dal and Curried Eggs but all the others we have tried are great too.


+++++Cake out - house smelling beautifully++++


So yes, curries. Might go for a Beef Rogan Josh, Dal and Curried Eggs this time. Will make poppadoms with it and have some chapattis, mango chutney, lime pickle, a bowl of banana, lime & raisins, and some cucumber raita. Duncan always makes pineapple and mango with lime juice & zest for afters - very refreshing! 


Still got to think of something to eat with the boggins this eve as Duncan will be late coming back from the UK. It'll come to me later.. It'll be simple but tasty - that's for sure!


That's it for now! I am going to drizzle the lemon cake.


Hope you have wonderful weekends and lots of family food fun!


Love, 
X Bee







No comments:

Post a Comment